Six Ways to Improve Sales with Small Talk
I believe the trick to small talk is: THERE IS NO TRICK!
Honesty and speaking from your heart is the best thing you can do. Look at the person across from you as a close friend. Take down the barriers and you will succeed.
Here are six ideas to improve your small talk in a sales scenario:
1. Best topics of light conversations? You can always open the conversation with something in their office. Or if you like what they are wearing — comment on it. Or look at their website ahead of time and note something you found out about them or their industry.
2. Most effective opening lines? “The article on your website about _______ discussed _____________. I found this fascinating. Can you tell me more about that? This line takes you past small talk and into having them speak next — follow the 80/20 rule. You speak 20% of the time and they speak 80%.
3. Most effective exiting lines? Always set the next appointment or action to be taken — this is your closing line. If not a good lead, then ask for a referral and if possible get them to call the person right then.
4. How to come off sincere? Be sincere — don’t fake sincerity. If you are having difficulty — remain calm and treat them like a friend — a confidant.
5. How to fight the awkwardness? Negative self-talk is the biggest issue here. Before you go into the meeting, do your homework. The more you know about your prospect the fewer awkward moments.
6. The importance of successful small talk? Small talk must be relevant. Find common grounds to talk about and lead the conversation to ensure you obtain the end result you want. No talk is small talk. The more you find out about your prospect, the more information you will have for future conversations.
Look at my new book ENTREPRENEUR YOU for more tips on selling and networking. You will be surprised how easy it can be.